One of the nice things about living in this new city is that everything is so much closer. This includes a Trader Joe’s.
I haven’t been to a Trader Joe’s before, but I’m absolutely in love with Whole Foods (although not with their prices). So for this week’s grocery shopping the hubs and I went and checked it out. Well, I like it a lot better than “normal” supermarkets or the commissary. And I love their prices! It makes me feel so much better to buy and eat organic and fair-trade stuff, but I just couldn’t really afford it before. Not anymore thanks to Trader Joe’s :). I also got cruelty free shampoo and conditioner for $2,49 a piece. I also “splurged” on a bottle of white wine and some dark chocolate. Another plus: it’s only about 10 minutes from our house. My new way to go is most definitively organic and vegetarian.
Also, across the street from Trader Joe’s they’re opening a Whole Foods! I can not be happier at this point. Actually yes, I could be if I could find a new job some time soon so I get my own paycheck to spend at Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods :)
Here’s just a few quick pics of the stuff we got today. It looks random, since I didn’t arrange the stuff to snap a pic. The hubs laid it all out on the counter because he thinks it’s easier to put it away that way. Anyway, I’m excited about the nut-chocolate spread :)
After this, I couldn’t resist to get a costume for Captain. I really wanted to dress him up as a cow, but the hubs put in his veto for that. So this is what it is:
I think it’s pretty hilarious :).
Like most vegetables, I couldn’t stand them as a kid. Now I’m in love with them. I’m in love with lentil soup!
Lentils. So delicious, packed with nutrition’s, so good for you. They are not just packed with protein, as you might now, but provide also 358mcg Folate per cup (that’s 90% DV!). Folate helps to produce new cells ad is essential to iron production in the body. It is also essential for the healthy development of the fetus in early pregnancy. It is recommended for all women in the child-bearing age to increase their folate intake, even if they aren’t planning on becoming pregnant. Lentils also contain magnesium. No wonder “Health” Magazine put Lentils on their list of “The World’s Healthiest Foods”.
One cup of lentils contains about 230 calories and less than 1 gram of fat. It provides 17 grams of Protein, and about 16 grams of complex fibers which will hep you stay full longer.
And although lentil soup might seem like a nice comfort food on a chilly fall night, I love it year round. The lemon I use in the soup gives it a nice kick and summer feel, plus I serve it with a nice, fresh salad to make it a delicious, healthy, good-for-you meal!
Lentil Soup With Lemon
- Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 TBS Tomato Paste
- 1 TSP Ground Cumin
- 1/4 TSP Chili Powder (or to taste)
- Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth (or Chicken Broth)
- 1 1/2 cups Lentils (I mostly use green lentils, but you can also use red lentils)
- 1 large Carrot, diced
- 2 TBS lemon juice (or to taste)
- fresh, chopped cilantro
- Heat some olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and about half of the garlic, and cook until the onion has turned golden brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper, and chili powder. Cook and stir 2 minutes more until the spices are fragrant.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, lentils, and carrot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Put the remaining garlic into a blender (chop if the cloves are still whole), and add about half of the soup, filling the pitcher no more than halfway full. Hold down the lid of the blender with a folded kitchen towel, and carefully start the blender, using a few quick pulses to get the soup moving before leaving it on to puree. Alternately, you can use a stick blender and puree the soup right in the cooking pot. Do not puree all of the soup, leave some of it a little chunky.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cilantro, then season to taste with salt.